In addition to the impressive array of performances The Center hosts each year, we are equally as committed to the visual arts. Our gallery hosts works by artists both professional and up-and-coming, students, and other local nonprofits. From contemporary to classic, you can view artwork and ideas that range over a wide variety of mediums including sculpture, photography, fiber arts, painting, jewelry, installation and more!
Never a boring place to be, the gallery also hosts a myriad of artistic endeavors throughout the year including:
- Open Studios – Nevada County West
- Third Thursdays
- Annual gallery selections for the Wild & Scenic Film Festival
- No Other Way – A benefit for SkateMD
- Artist talks
- Exhibitions rotating every six weeks
- Receptions both private and public
Upcoming Art Programs:
The Center for the Arts is committed to working with the schools, youth organizations, and families in our community to provide arts education to help local youth thrive.
Our Youth Arts Education Program provides after-school and summer camp opportunities for kids to participate in a wide range of professionally guided and instructed art programs. With four schools within walking distance, we are truly at “The Center” and excited to offer even more options for local students. The newly renovated building offers a more flexible space and will enable us to expand and improve our Youth Arts Education programs.
- Student Matinee Series.“The Call of the Wild,” scheduled for March 2020, is the first of our new Student Matinee series offering low-to-no cost tickets to students. Based on the classic novel by Jack London, the theatrical presentation features a 180-degree multimedia projection that surrounds actor Noel Gaulin, who plays all of the roles in telling the story of the legendary sled dog Buck. The production is uniquely designed to encourage audience participation through imagination as the story unfolds on stage. We are grateful to BriarPatch for sponsoring the first two Student Matinees at The New Center allowing us to offer student tickets of $5. Thank you to Deer Creek School for being the first to take advantage of this series!
- After School & Summer Camps. The Center will continue working with OnTheGo partners The Curious Forge Makerspace and the Nevada City School of the Arts to expand and develop new camps and opportunities for area youth. Camps will continue to be held in multiple locations to expand our reach to children in the community.
- Family Fun Day. Offered four times a year, these are free all-day events geared toward families and introduces many young children in our community to their first-ever arts experience. We offer families the opportunity to participate in healthy art-based activities together, such as face painting, crafts, and a balloon artist and other fun entertainment.
Upcoming Youth Programs:There are no upcoming events at this time.